DURBAN – The father of a 17-year-old boy, who was allegedly kidnapped in Newlands East last week, has pleaded with kidnappers to release him.
According to police, Mmeli Ngcobo from Castle Hill has been missing since February 22.
KwaZulu-Natal police spokesperson Colonel Thembeka Mbele confirmed the incident and said police in Newlands East were seeking assistance from the community to find the teenager.
She said that it was alleged that February 17, 2021, Ngcobo had taken a cell phone belonging to his classmate. She said his classmate did not report the incident to the school principal but instead informed his parents.
“The parents then came into the school and approached Ngcobo without permission from the principal and requested that he returns the phone.”
Ngcobo was given until February 22 to return the phone.
Mbhele said on that day, just after school had finished, the boy was approached by two men in a gold or silver Mercedes Benz. She said it was alleged that Ngcobo was forced into the vehicle.
“The vehicle drove off in the direction of Castle Hill Drive. The registration number of the vehicle is unknown at this stage. One arrest has been made in regards to the alleged kidnapping. However, the kidnapped child has not been found.”