Johannesburg – About two thousand Cape Town residents joined the Move One Million march in the Cape Town CBD earlier on Saturday.
The group marched against farm attacks, gender-based violence, corruption and poor governance in South Africa.
Police cordoned off certain streets including Roeland Street with barbed wire.
Smaller protests took place in cities across the country, from Pretoria to Durban and East London.
Move One Million founder Jarette Petzer said in a statement that measures put in place to keep South Africa safe during a lockdown turned into a looting frenzy where billions of rands went missing.
The movement aimed to get one million people to take hands in peaceful protest across the country and abroad.
“We are in a battle for the heart and soul of South Africa. We cannot allow ourselves to be paralysed by fear for one more minute. Yes, we are banged up and yes, we have been beaten down, but we are not broken. It is up to every single one of us to rise up against the people bent on trying to destroy our great nation,” the Move One Million group says on its Facebook page.
*Full article appeared on IOLBack to crime news